Tuesday, Treadmill tips and tunes

Y’all this morning I ran 3 miles on my treadmill, because Summer! I really wanted to run 6 miles. Truth be told, I wanted to run 6 miles today and yesterday but I only managed 3 today and 4 yesterday.

bird on treadmill

This shit’s for the birds!

Even though my treadmill is on my lanai, it’s still outside, and as you know, it’s hot.

Running in the heat is much harder and it requires way more energy than an average run in the fall or winter. Did you know that 30% of the energy you generate while running actually goes toward moving your muscles and the other 70% is trying to cool you off?  It’s true.  More blood flows to your skin that it does to your muscles when you’re running in hot weather.

Let’s couple that with humidity and dew points, which here in Florida sometimes reach 100%, and you actually sweat more.  All of the extra moisture in the air hampers your ability to cool off as quickly as it does in dry heat because the extra moisture in the air makes it difficult for your sweat to evaporate.

Here’s a great article on how to adjust your pace for hot weather based on dew points.  I highly recommend it especially for new runners or anyone who’s training for a fall marathon during the summer.

I gotta be honest, when the air feels terribly uncomfortable to me, and MacGyver isn’t here, I get a little nervous on my treadmill and sometimes, like today, I cut my runs short. It’s better to be safe than sorry. That being said, I’m amazed at how many people disregard any safety when it comes to the treadmill and that brings me to another article I wanted to share with you.

Treadmill Safety
This is actually a really good article about the importance of treadmill safety even for runners who use the treadmill a lot.
Click here to read the full article.

Did any of you see the article about Serena Williams in the New York Times? I read the article and I thought it was pretty shitty how they let her competitors basically body shame her. I wondered if anyone else got that from reading the article and then this morning I saw this:

Serena Williams

Apparently I wasn’t the only one who thought the article was bullshit.

Click here to read it in its entirety. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one who felt like they were body shaming her.  I’d be interested in knowing what you think…

Lastly, I wanted to share with you another one of my favorite singers. Y’all are probably way ahead of me on this one but I just recently started listening to Serena Ryder and I absolutely love her.

Check out the song that I first fell in love with, her voice is hauntingly beautiful.

Then check out her version of Funeral, one of my favorite songs. And I also included the original version from Band of Horses because everybody should really hear that song, it’s pretty awesome.

Serena Ryder – Funeral

Band of Horses – Funeral

What music are you listening to lately?
Any treadmill safety tips you want to share?
How hot is it where you live right now?

4 thoughts on “Tuesday, Treadmill tips and tunes

  1. That Serena Williams article is ridiculous! I will regrettably admit that my husband and I were watching her play on Saturday and I said “she is a monster” but I never mean that in a negative way. I said that right before we went to the gym, and I decided I needed to bust my butt a little more because I need just an eighth of the power and strength she has. It’s so sad that women just can’t be happy for fellow women anymore.

    • I completely agree with you. Men are always supportive of each other and it pisses me off that we can’t cheer for each other in the same way. Serena is awesome! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *