Sorry for the late post, but I was pretty sure I was dying.

Happy Monday to you. I realize this post is a bit late but well, it was a rough later part of the weekend and a weekend in which, I was pretty sure I was dying.

I took Friday off from running and went to my beloved garage and estate sales because that’s just what I do. I didn’t buy all that much but I did get a killer pink Tupperware butter dish circa: sometime before your ass was born. I also got MacGyver some kick ass trains and train parts because we have a little project in mind. After all the shopping I came home and vegged out with the pups. All in all it was a stress free and uneventful day.

On Saturday morning I woke up early and went out for a long run. I had twelve miles on the training schedule. Guess what? I did it! I didn’t have to stop once, even when I almost stepped on a black snake, I just kept going. It was the longest run I’ve done in months and do you wanna know how I felt afterwards….


Yep, just like this!


Then I went home, showered and took the dogs for a walk. After that I convinced MacGyver to take a ride with me to run a few errands and to go to lunch. And then sometime around 11:30 I started getting a migraine.

Now, let me stop right here and tell you that I get frequent migraines and I have 3 classes of them. Class one is a mild one and I can usually stop it within an hour if I take 2 ibuprofen but if that doesn’t work, it progresses to class 2. Class 2 is a medium migraine and it usually requires Excedrin for migraines and a warm towel around my neck followed by about 30 minutes or more of rest and if that doesn’t work it’s a full blown class 3. Class 3 is a bitch. Class 3 is a migraine that ends any additional plans for the day because it requires Dramamine, a dark room, no noise, and sleep. Fortunately the recipe for class 3 has always worked.

On Saturday it did not. My migraine had progressed to a class 3 by late afternoon and my usual regime for relief did not work. The Dramamine knocked me out for about 10 minutes until the pain became intolerable. At that point, I got up and walked around which seemed to alleviate it, but it never quite went away. It just sort of hung around for a few hours. Since MacGyver was going hunting at 3am he needed to go to bed so I decided to lay down with him and eventually I drifted off to sleep. I woke up about 10 minutes after MacGyver left and it was bad y’all.

the pain is too bad
I have never felt so much panic as I felt at that point. MacGyver was on his way to the woods where his cell phone would not receive a signal, the kid was out with friends and I was projectile vomiting with the most intense headache I have ever had.

It was similar to the food poisoning incident of a few weeks ago….which only worried me more. What if it hadn’t been food poisoning? What if something is really wrong with me? What if I’m dying?

You may think I was acting hysterically and usually I would agree but this time there was a reason I freaked out. Because this time my blood pressure had sky rocketed and my heart rate was really low, as in 40 beats a minute low. Since I know I have bradycardia, it’s something I’m keenly aware of and always tracking, but it is not usually accompanied by high blood pressure or an intense headache that causes projectile vomiting. Y’all I was freaking the fuck out!

googling your symptoms

As God is my witness, I will not ever google symptoms again when I am in the throes of despair with an unknown illness. By 5 am I was pretty sure I had either a chiari malformation or Intracranial hypertension. Typhoid fever was also a contender but I quickly ruled that one out.

For the record, I can deal with either of these things if that’s the hand I’m dealt, just not when I am all alone on the floor of my bathroom in serious pain coupled with projectile vomiting which was only increasing the pressure in my head. Fortunately, I remembered I had some misoprostol which helps immensely and that’s exactly what I took. It stopped the vomiting in about 10 minutes and forty five minutes later, I was sleeping like a baby.

I spent most of Sunday in bed.

Today has been much better and my blood pressure has gone down a lot. The migraine is gone too. However, I’ll be seeing a cardiologist soon. MacGyver is insisting, and this time, I know he’s right. I’m just thankful that for now I feel much better.

Ever had a health scare that made you think you would die? Seriously die?

14 thoughts on “Sorry for the late post, but I was pretty sure I was dying.

  1. Oh my gosh! I’m glad your feeling better but holy cow I’d be freaking out too! I’ve had my share of extremely painful migraines, but thankfully no vomitting. I sure hope you get some answers soon. Prayers your way!

  2. Holy, so glad you are feeling better now—I used to get the projectile migraines myself reasonably often and there really isn’t anything much worse. Hopefully everything checks out okay with the cardiologist! I woke up with chest pains one morning that just wouldn’t go away. Of course, being a man, I went off to work anyway but as soon as I got to work and described how I was feeling, my co-worker (a sweetheart I eventually married) more or less sent me to emerg. They couldn’t find anything really wrong but at least it got me on the road to regular cardio check-ups. Hope all goes well with your appointment and SO glad you are still with us!!!

  3. I am glad you finally have some relief! I don’t get migraines but both of my kids do and they are horrible. My daughter finally figured out her trigger…gelatin. She avoids gummy bears, jelly etc but even in super small quantities it is still an issue. It has an accumulative effect so she is even sensitive to the gelatin that is the outer coating on capsules of vitamins or medicine (gel caps). Everyone has a trigger… You just have to figure out yours. Good luck!

    • Thanks Amy, I too have lots of triggers but this time the trigger may have actually been my low heart rate. Hopefully the cardio doc can figure it out. I’m so sorry to hear that your kids have migraines. It’s so bad for an adult I can’t even imagine a kid having to deal with it. That just makes my heart melt. I hope they don’t get them too often.

  4. Oh my word, what a nightmare for you. I am so sorry you went through that….all alone. So glad you finally got it under control and got the rest your body desperately needed after that ordeal.

    I actually did find a lump in my breast in 2011. 2 days before a trip to Mexico. It was awful. When I had Rick feel it he goes “it feels like a peanut” (instant panic). It turned out benign but they did remove it anyway. But the whole experience just seemed surreal. I kept thinking “I do not want to go down this path…”.

    I am very glad you will be getting checked out. Very glad.
    You take care of yourself, OK?

  5. Oh hun, I am so sorry you are going through this. Makes me sad to think you were alone going through that. Glad you are feeling a little better and are getting it checked out. Although migraines are awful, I hope that it was only a side effect of the migraine. When I lived in TX and worked at the airline I used to get wicked migraines that made me vomit. Mine were caused by the jet fumes and I still get them occasionally from chemicals. (((Hugs)))

    Honestly I have been going through a little something lately that kind of scares me. Because I am functioning and back to work the boyfriend doesn’t realize how unsettling it is. For almost three weeks I have been dealing with vertigo 24/7. Even when I am not spinning I am walking like I am drunk. People find it humorous to see, but inside it is scary. After one round of drugs, the doc has me on three now and they are not helping. Plus my head and neck hurts. My ears don’t hurt, no sinus issues, but when I went to the doc for a follow up they took my BP and it was high for me (158/96 and I am usually around 110/55). They left the room and I freaked out a little. He wants me to have a CT scan and when I asked why, he said to check for a tumor. As you may remember, I was having those fainting episodes this summer that left me wearing an eye patch. So, he wants to be safe. I am sure all is fine and it will pass, but all I could think of when he said it was two people close to me who had brain tumors.

    Try not to stress too much. It can make all kinds of things go out of whack. Prayers the visit with the cardiologist goes well. I went this summer and was scared shitless, only to find out my arteries are clean and the heart is healthy. Of course the pessimist in me said “Jeez, if only I hadn’t had all those years of hard living” because I would be Super Kristin!

    Take care!

    • Thanks for your kind words and I hope you are feeling better soon. Please do have the CT Scan! If nothing else it will put your mind at ease. Do take care and let me know how everything is going, okay? 🙂

      • I most certainly will and please do the same. I am feeling okay about it today, but I agree with you and know I have to just get the scan done. Dragging butt doing it because I have missed time at work. Business trip next week and I am hoping that they don’t throw me off the plane because they think I am intoxicated. haha I just realized I took up your blog. Sorry, I get to writing and can’t stop. Take care!

        • You have my permission to write a book if you want 😉 Anyway, don’t put it off for long and please let me know what they say. In the meantime, I’m sending you some good healing vibes! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *